A big feature of a lot of Foody holidays is the river. I suppose most places I go are in or near some river valley and that valley shapes the whole landscape in the area and dictates where the roads go and where the crossings are. I rather like walking beside rivers. Unless they are upland streams gushing down ravines, they usually give you a gentle gradient.
The main natural "must see" is Teesdale High Force (below).
I think I read that it is the highest single drop "force" in England but I'd like to check again. That black rock on all but the sunniest days does make this beauty spot feel rather gloomy. I think I had a preference for Lower Force.
Below is Lunedale. The Lune is a tributary of the Tees. We also visited Weardale, the upper reaches being particularly scenic.
The weather most of the time was not too kind so I have very few photos, which is a shame as it so picturesque with its trailing stone walls and stone barns. It is very reminiscent of Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales. The villages I might even describe as the northern Cotswolds. In November, there was no aubretia and no roses round the doors. There were no stone mullions. However, the pretty stone cottages were surrounded by stone walls, set in patterns of little wall-enclosed fields, with narrow wall-enclosed lanes leading from the streets and skirting the fields. You can still see the medieval ridge and furrow marks in those fields. They are largely just unimproved rough grass and in March when I have passed through that area it's one place I can be assured of seeing displaying lapwings. Village favourites are Cotherstone, Egglestone, Romaldkirk, Mickleton and Newbiggin, all in Teesdale; in Weardale anywhere including Westgate and upstream form there.
The Bowes Museum is just outside Barnard Castle. There were (temporary) original Canalettos to keep this Venezia-phile happy, plenty other paintings, pianos, pianetti, textiles, pocelain, a stuffed siamese twin goat(s?!) and of course the star attraction, the silver swan automaton. It gets cranked up every day at 2pm and was a great sight.
Just because I holidayed in Teesdale doesn't mean necessarily that it is far from home. I have enjoyed hols close to home in the past. But that doesn't mean it's near home either. We started the 9 days with a duty visit to see my old Dad. I didn't think he was coping that well but I am doing things about it. Then we called on a very dear old friend for a night and a day, then on to Upper Teesdale. It was just grrrrreat.
This is a Five Star post today Foody. Lovely photos. I have never been around that area although my father used to go up there a lot.
ReplyDeleteHe was a keen walker and a great fan of Albert Wainwright. He had all his books and now Dad is no longer....I have them all here in my library. I look at all the pics. and think I must get up there one day and look around.
Yes I noticed that you had another follower ...
and getting some different people leaving comments ...apart from this boring old kipper!!
Keep up the good work.
Regards.....Bernard
Sorry, I should have said Alfred Wainwright.
ReplyDeleteWas AW not more of a Lakes man? Or maybe he loved all of the north of England.
ReplyDeleteYes,he was Lakelander of course, lived in Kendal I believe, but certainly a man of the north. Not only the North of England, he had many holidays in Scotland and loved Skye. I am reading "Wainwright's Scotland" at the moment. (well, not this very moment).
ReplyDeleteWell I didn't know that. I hope you enjoy the book. His lakeland illustrations are superb.
ReplyDelete